The Lay Ministers and myself held a meeting this evening primarily to discuss the question whether the Carol Service should go ahead given the sudden rise in Covid infections. On the latest projections these could, and probably almost certainly will, surpass 100,000 a day by next week.
Regrettably we cannot square the circle of maintaining a safe environment while a highly transmissible serious infection is on the loose, and have therefore decided to cancel the Carol Service, the Crib Service and Christmas Morning.
We know that this will come as a great disappointment to everyone but hope you will understand that we cannot risk creating an environment where Covid could circulate and potentially cause serious and long term harm to our congregation.
The carols around the tree outside at 6pm on 22nd will still go ahead.